Langholm Chilli Club arrives with a splash in 2018!
Just down the road from Ooft! a group of locals in the small pretty Borders town of Langholm got together and started a club. Now we are in Scotland the land of the golfer, the hunter, and the walker, but they chose to grow, compare, and taste, chilli’s from around the world. This year was their first festival and it drew a LOT of attention and already has over 270 members growing chillis.
BBC – The town that became Scotland’s Chilli Capital
The Times Newspaper – Langholm is the hot town for Chilli
Dumfries and Galloway News – Things are heating up in Langholm
The Dumfries and Galloway News said
“By declaring the town the Chilli Capital of Scotland, the Langholm Chilli Club is hoping to attract visitors with the development of a new Chilli Trail and the first ever Chilli Fest at the end of September.
In Langholm, the Chilli Capital of Scotland, there are currently:
- around 350 households growing chilli plants (Langholm has a population of 1800 and around 910 households) or one third of households
- 3500+ chilli seeds have been planted in the town in 2018
- at least 1,000 chilli plants
- 53 different varieties of chilli, including the ‘Hottest Chilli’ the Carolina Reaper
- 21 local businesses have their chillis on display
- Langholm Chilli Club has around 60 people waiting to receive seeds and members across the world including Canada, US and Portugal.“
They have their own Facebook page – Langholm Chilli Club
and are already planning their 2019 enlarged festival. It is so nice to see people get so excited about chilli’s. Clubs come and go but there is a real love of the chilli in Langholm and plans afoot to do something special in 2019! Their FB page self description is “We’re going to grow Chillis! In Langholm, Eskdale, Canonbie and ANYWHERE! For no other reason than because they’re AWESOME! “. That says it all.