This crab curry is a must if you visit Tobago. In Trinidad they use land crabs, sold at the roadside by small boys on long poles about 6-8 to a bunch. In the UK we use medium brown crabs. It is essential they are live crabs, hard to get in the UK unless you know a fisherman. Take off the top shell with a knife and split the crabs in two and clean everything soft away until your left with two halves. Crack the gundies or large claws with a rock or pestle. Season with
1/2 whole garlic, 1 onion, one WI Pepper all finely chopped, two sprigs of thyme, and 1 inch chopped fresh ginger, 1 chopped tomato, and 1 tspn sun dried paste
1 Bunch coriander chopped, salt and black pepper and teaspoon of curry powder
After a time (at least 2 hours but can be overnight). Heat oil in a pot and add 1 tbpsn curry powder mixed to a paste with water. Let cook down a little to gain fragrance and then add the crab and stir gently. After about 5 minutes add a cup of Heineken or similar lager, water and coconut milk. About maybe a pint or so all together, enough to cover. Add 1-2 teaspoon of sugar. Turn down heat and simmer for twenty minutes, uncover and reduce at high heat until gravy thickens, also add a bit more coriander chopped.
While the crab is cooking take a pound of plain flour and add salt and a pinch of baking powder, mix with water to form a firm dough. roll to a cylinder about 1-5 inches and slice into pieces to make about 10-12 dumplings. Add to boiling salted water and boil for 20 minutes then drain.
Put dumplings on plate and spoon crab over. This is a messy but satisfying meal where the real taste is in the dumplings and gravy and any crab you can suck is a bonus really.
Caribbean stewed salmon and rice is a wonderful recipe that uses an every day stand by in a unique way, and is so delicious my sons want it served every week. It is also a 25 minute meal, i.e. the whole meal takes about 25 minutes from start to finish. Tinned salmon will suddenly assume a role of much greater importance once you have tried this delicious recipe. Recipe could also be served with mashed potato or pasta.
INGREDIENTS TO SERVE 4
1 large tin pink or red salmon
2 fresh tomatoes cut up
half a 400gm tin of tomatoes
1 medium onion chopped
½ sweet pepper sliced
1 garlic clove chopped
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
¼ cup water
1 tspn tomato paste and 1 tsp of sun dried tomato paste
2 tspns salt and 1tspn ground black pepper and1 tspn sugar
Put your rice on to boil. Meanwhile
1. Heat one tablespoon of oil in a wok or pan until hot and add the onion, garlic and peppers and sauté on medium heat until soft. Stir and add fresh chopped tomatoes and cook slow for a minute or two until these soften.
2. Meanwhile open salmon into a bowl and clean off the skin and bones keeping the liquid.
3. Add tinned tomatoes, pepper, salt, sugar, tomato paste, sun dried paste, salmon liquid, and water, then cook covered for 10 minutes.
4. Add salmon and parsley not stirring to much at this point to keep the salmon pieces whole. Taste and adjust seasoning if required. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes for flavours to meld.
Serve with white basmati or jasmine rice, accompanied by
Cucumber sliced and seasoned with salt pepper and lemon juice, plus if you have any some coriander chopped…and of course Ooft! Hot Pepper Sauce
Our Recipe for Butter chicken. Comment and feedback appreciated.
700 gm raw chicken (used pack 7 chicken thighs with bone)
For the Marinade:
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala (Tandoori mix)
1 tsp ginger and garlic finely chopped
250 gr Greek yogurt
Salt to taste
For the Gravy:
1 1/2 tsp ground roasted cumin seeds
4 green Cardamom seeds
1 tin whole tomatoes puréed
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp red chilli powder
Salt to taste
100 gm fresh cream
2 fresh mild green chilli chopped
1 tsp Ooft Scotch Bonnet Hot Sauce
1 tsp ground fenugreek or leaves (substitute ½ tsp fennel seeds)
1. In a bowl marinate the chicken with ginger, garlic, chilli powder, garam masala, salt and yogurt. Mix well…. Keep it in the refrigerator, marinate overnight or minimum 4 hours.
2. Preheat Grill oven to 240C, Grill meat until it is almost cooked. It may take about 20 to 30 mins depending on the size of your chicken….
For the chicken gravy
1. Heat half of the butter in pan.
2. Pour in the tomato puree, and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add cumin, cardamom,sugar, chilli powder and salt to taste. Mix well.
3. Add the grilled chicken, remaining butter, tsp Ooft, and fenugreek
4. Saute for 7-10min till chicken is cooked..
5. Add the fresh cream, do not cook for long after you add to the gravy, otherwise the gravy may curdle…..
6. Garnish with Cilantro
Serve hot with Basmati rice, Biryani rice or naan, add extra Ooft! To taste.