What do we expect when we use a buffalo sauce recipe? The crispiest wings and the tastiest sauce would be my answer. Try this way. The dip is hot and flavourful with a rich smooth taste that gets to you, and after you have eaten one, you will be back for more… and more. We baked our chicken for a healthier snack, 4 wings is only about 200 kc. OK its not diet food but frying it doubles the trouble. 🙂
Whether you fry or bake is your choice but this buffalo sauce recipe is special, I have tried so many and they disappointed.
Our scotch bonnet is great for wings, buy it by clicking belowShop Now
We always used to fry our wings, to get that crispy outer coating we would dredge them in cornflour and season. But recently I was reading a blog called recipe tin eats and I tried a method the lady recommended and I have to say it works and will be our go to wings from now on.
Buffalo Wings and Sauce
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 1/2 shallot or red onion fine chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely grated
- 1/4 cup brown sugar,
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup hot sauce (Ooft! Scotch Bonnet)
- 1/4 cup Chipotle sauce (Ooft!)
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce (our preference Newmans)
- 1 shot Scotch or rum
- 3 tbsp. rich stock (we use dripping stock from roast chicken)
- 1 kg wings separated
- 5 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- Dry the wings using kitchen towel and then place in a bowl and for 1 kg of wings add 5 tbsp of baking powder and 1 tsp of salt and paprika. Stir this by hand until all coated and then take a wire rack and oil it (otherwise chicken will stick), then place the wings on it back up. place in fridge overnight. Now I had no room in my fridge for this so I did all the first steps then just put the bowl in the fridge covered overnight and it worked really well, the next day I spread them on oiled rack.The clever bit comes now. Bake them at 120C for 30 minutes and then increase heat to 180 for 30-40 minutes depending on wing size and oven, I took mine out after 35. I have to say they were super crispy and tasty. The slow cooking at first helps to render the large amount of fat in wings so they end up healthier.
- In saucepan, melt butter slowly, add shallots, garlic and sauté for 3 minutes until transparent. Add brown sugar honey and rum and heat through, then add other ingredients and cook for 5 minutes and keep warm until ready to serve.